Tuesday, February 22, 2011

little gold bird


have you seen this photo from anthropologie?
{it was sent out in an anthro email last week}
these are their ogee apertures towels.
-but-
do you see that little gold bird up in the corner?
i recognized it immediately.
it is almost exactly like this one
{click the link then use the roll-over zoom to see it up close}
from this angle,
it looks like they were made from the same mold.
the one in the anthro photo seems to have an inlay of lapis on the back.

this belonged to my grandma.
it is {of all things} a vintage saccharin server.
she had a collection of these in all shapes & sizes.
you can see the teeny tiny tongs
held inside by a magnet.
{it is marked florenza}

{mom, didn't she collect these on trips to italy?}

i love this little bird,
and i loved finding it's twin
in an unexpected place.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

I love that litte bird too!!!! What a treasure.

Anonymous said...

I think she collected them mostly at garage sales and flea markets tho she did buy a few in Europe when traveling. Where did saccharin go? Love, Mom

Denise said...

What a wonderful little treasure!! I love this!

MA said...

SO cool! First of all I love birdies(!) second of all I love that this is a Practical Bird(!) third of all I LOVE LOVE LOVE that it was your grandma's and I, like you, would be over-the-moon happy to see its long lost twin(and!)in Anthropologie's catalog. SUCH A TREASURE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...